Friday, April 15, 2011

The FDA strikes again.......

“Ideas on America”, by Jaime has an interesting blog titled, “Risk of Imported Foods”. I don’t understand why we can’t use our own resources instead of other countries. We are blessed to have a country with almost all varieties of terrains. What do really need from other countries that we can’t grow here?

So these other countries are sending us their pick of poison, pesticides, so that we can send them our money instead of supporting local famers? The good ol FDA has got our backs on this one right?-WRONG! These other countries are not held to the “standards” that our country holds for food safety.

In addition to the plethora of diseases we can’t cure, there is a major uprising of severe food allergies in our country. My two children both are highly allergic to a couple different foods, (neither me nor my husband are). No one knows the cause. Because of this, I don’t buy anything, knowingly, that is internationally transported. I can barely trust our own regulations, much less those of another country!

Another point made in Jaime’s blog is that the food isn’t as fresh. It would be great if we could just support our local farmers instead of outsourcing. The faster locally grown food can sell, the less poison, eh hem, I mean pesticide we will consume.

I agree that the funding we use for the transport of imported foods could go towards the FDA, so that they can be more thorough on our inspections and regulations. I don’t mean to sound selfish, but when are we going to start focusing on taking care of our own country? Thank you Jaime for a most interesting blog!

No comments: